Thursday, September 24, 2009

Wk9 Studio Task

3DS Max Extruded Floor Plan/Interior Shot:


AutoCAD Floor Plan:


Exterior Render Comparisons:




Interior Render Comparison:


Re-Inventing the Vitra Design Museum:


If I were to re-envision the Vitra Design Museum there are many directions I would take differently to Gehry’s original plan. In relation to the site context of the building, I would defiantly locate it somewhere busier than its current location. Right now it sits almost in a farm landscape, with large, baron paddocks and very simple, clean-cut paths and streets. I agree that this contrasts with the complexity of the museum, but I think it would be better suited to a landscape that embraces its style. If anything I would have at least made the complex front facade face the road. When it comes to the structure itself, it is so unique to Gehry’s style that it would be hard to alter without feeling like you were detracting from the overall product. The only alteration that I’d make would be to include a few more complex angles and curves to the back of the structure. From every angle the museum looks very complex and busy, except when viewed from the rear it has a simple, box-like section. When it comes the overall scale of the structure I think that it should in-fact be bigger than it is. The style of the museum is grandiose, and when you look at it without people in shot, the first impression that I get is that it is bigger than it actually is. In my re-envision of the museum I would scale the overall size up another 50-75%. I think the current materials used work very effectively in contrasting with each other, and the flat, white surfaces allow for interesting shadows to be cast. I also think that the function is close to perfect. It is a very abstract building that has the ability to display abstract exhibits of art and design. The direction that I plan to head in for the Vitra Design Museum is a more abstract, large scale, flamboyant museum, with more presence and situated in a more heavily populated location.

Possible Modifications:

No comments:

Post a Comment